Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Relying on God

Wednesday 12th August 2009

Relying on God

2 Chronicles 14:11 – Then Asa called to the LORD his God and said, “LORD, there is no one like you to help the powerless against the mighty. Help us, O LORD our God, for we rely on you, and in your name we have come against this vast army. O LORD, you are our God; do not let man prevail against you.”

Isaiah 50:10 – Who among you fears the LORD, and obeys the word of his servant? Let him who walks in the dark, who has no light, trust in the name of the LORD and rely on his God.

1 John 4:16 – And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. Go dis love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him.

Life is not always a bed of roses. It is not always like a piece of smooth dark chocolate. Sometimes it seems that life is not that smooth yacht ride you thought you got on – turns out it is actually a really big rollercoaster.
More than often, things happen in our lives that we wish didn’t. Dad might lose his job unexpectedly; perhaps your pet dog who you had lived with for your whole life suddenly passes away; it might be that your house is turned to dust in a freak bushfire which sweeps through your state.
Though these things are not fun, and don’t seem beneficial at the time, they have a purpose. God will never put you through anything you cannot handle. But do you know what? He doesn’t want you to try to do it all on your own.
When times get tough, it is not the bag of chocolate that we should turn to for comfort, it is our Bible. When we don’t know what is going to happen, don’t ask your friends for advice, or think that the newspaper horoscope will spell it out for you. Turn to God in prayer and ask Him and listen for the answer. If you suddenly find yourself drowning in a puddle of worries and woes, rise above that and worship your Saviour with all you have – because no matter what He is worthy.
In the book of Proverbs, we are told to not lean on our own understanding but to trust in God’s wisdom and turn to Him for direction in our life. But how often do we do that? Even in little choices, such as what we wear, we still need to ask ourselves what God would say about this.
So, we know we need to rely on God – not only in the bad times though, but in the good times. It can be hard to remember God when we are on the mountain top, or on the crest of the rollercoaster, but we have to. Our life, no matter what, needs to revolve around the wonderful love and goodness of our Heavenly Father. Even if it is hard, we need to worship Him because He is good and above all things.
The challenge to us now is this:

Will I put everything aside to know
and rely on my Father,
no matter what?

Things to think about (please comment your answers):
- What areas of my life am I holding onto and not letting God have control in?
- Where do I need to rely on God more?
- What things do I rely on now that I need to remove so I can rely on God more?
- What practical step am I going to take now – today – to rely more on God?

God bless you all as you rely more on Him!

7 Thoughts from YOU!:

Libby August 12, 2009 at 12:38 PM  

- What areas of my life am I holding onto and not letting God have control in? forgiveness stuff. please pray I can forgive some people... I'm having a hard time doing that.
- Where do I need to rely on God more? in my life
- What things do I rely on now that I need to remove so I can rely on God more? forgiveness. i just gotta forgive :(
- What practical step am I going to take now – today – to rely more on God? try to forgive. and that way, I can start fresh and rely on god.

great post!
libby xox

HIS daughter August 12, 2009 at 11:18 PM  

It is not the bag of chocolate we should turn to but our Bible...LOVE LOVE LOVE THAT! Wow! Thank you so much for writing this! It was a reminder I needed :) Blessings!

Anonymous,  August 13, 2009 at 3:09 AM  

Great post, Rachael :) It's something we need to constantly remind ourselves - to just trust and rely on God, even in the toughest of situations.

I know, that it was a real testing of our faith when we were trying to sell our house a few years ago. We had to learn to just give everything over to God and rely on Him. It was hard, but he worked everything out :)

Blessings!

~ Your SSA

Thirteen Feathers August 14, 2009 at 2:42 AM  

Rachael, wow. That post is awesome. So many times I have such a hard time remembering that God is there for me to reply on. Thanks for this post!
My answers:
- What areas of my life am I holding onto and not letting God have control in?....With the problems I am having with a friend. I just recently started asking him to take it over and help me with this.

- Where do I need to rely on God more?...In the problems I am having in life.

- What things do I rely on now that I need to remove so I can rely on God more?...Hmm, I haven't really relied on anything. I am trying to rely on God now.

- What practical step am I going to take now – today – to rely more on God? To not walk in the path of the evil (Proverbs 4)...Mainly; not starting an argument with siblings, being nice to siblings and being caring for siblings. :)

Thanks again for that post Rachael! Oh, I noticed that your signature thing isn't showing up; mine isn't either! I wonder what's wrong?! :(
Jessica~

Jake M. August 14, 2009 at 12:15 PM  

WOW!!! Relying On God was awesome!!!
I just started following your blog and after reading that post, I will definitely be back for more. :D
Alright, for the questions:
1. In my life, I'm probably mostly holding onto my life goals and what I desire to be when I grow up. I'm not letting God come in to do the deciding.
2. I need to trust in God that he will always be with me and no matter what happens he will pull me through it.
3. I've relied too much on the safety America delivers. But that's soon to change by the direction our countries is going. I need to rely on God and not something only temporary.
4. I'm going to pray that God gives me more faith and that I may stand firmly even in the midst of tumult. And to also stay planted in the Word so I will not falter in times of trial.

Jake

emii August 15, 2009 at 8:04 AM  

Hey Rachael,

- What areas of my life am I holding onto and not letting God have control in?

Actually, I don't think I've been giving God much control over my life. I just realized. I mean, I talk to Him and stuff, but I don't know if I've been giving him much control.

Like, I write all this stuff about how to follow God, and to good stuff like not judging people --but first we have to give God control over our lives.


- What things do I rely on now that I need to remove so I can rely on God more?

Yeah, well. The internet. I'm on here waaay too much. I think I'm gonna set myself some goals about whem I'm on here... hopefully, I'll be able to stick to them.

Actually, that is, if God wants me too. My first step is,like I said before -- to give God control of my life.

I left two of the questions, because I didn't really understand them.. not your falt, mine :)

Luv,Emii

Keilah August 19, 2009 at 1:17 AM  

Hey girl,

This is Keilah (from 101 days of praise). I did not read your post, but I will come back later an do so! I am commenting because you said you would like to join, but you gave me your blog address instead of your email address! Could you give me another comment with your email address included?

Thank you!

Smiles,
Keilah
www.photosbykeilah.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Hello!
Thank you for leaving your thoughts - they are very valuable to me!
Please remember that whatever you write is moderated first, and that I want this blog to glorify God... so, keep that in mind and comment away!
God bless!
justagirl4god