Sunday, August 16, 2009

Living a Life that Counts

I know it isn't Wednesday, but I have really felt to share this...

Monday 17th August, 2009

Living a Life that Counts

Matthew 6:34 – Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Exodus 9:16 - But I have raised you up for this very purpose, that I might show you my power and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.

Isaiah 49:4 - But I said, "I have labored to no purpose; I have spent my strength in vain and for nothing. Yet what is due me is in the LORD's hand, and my reward is with my God."

Today is the Tomorrow we worried about Yesterday.

We are not guaranteed that we will live to see tomorrow. Nowhere are we promised that we will get married, have kids and grow old. And yet, we expect with all certainty that tomorrow will be there for us. We presume that we will live long enough to find that special someone, settle down with a family and spend our grey-haired years in a rocking chair.

But it doesn’t always happen this way.

Everyday, all over the world, lives are cut short. People, mostly children, are dying because of the sin and selfishness of our world. There is a food crisis in so many countries - people starving to death, or becoming ill from eating rotten food.
Even in the plentiful countries that many of us live in, there is still hurt, pain, and suffering. People still die undeservingly. Car accidents - drunk drivers. Depression - suicide. Drug overdose.
As I type this, my heart is unsettled. Why do we live in a world so full of pain? Becuase of sin. But what are we doing to change this? What cause are we standing behind? Are we even trying to make a difference in this world?
If you were to die tomorrow, would your life have counted?
Right now, our challenge is this:
Will I put aside ME - the things that I want, MY dreams, MY comfort - and pursue HIM?
Am I willing to give up being popular on earth to be a valuable part of heaven?
What am I going to do to change even the smallest corner of this world?
Is my focus on me, or am I focused on God? Is He my first priority?
Do I live in such a way that I am sharing God's love and making a difference everywhere I go?
IF I DIED TONIGHT, WOULD MY LIFE HAVE COUNTED?


(Please comment your answers to these questions)

I'm not pointing fingers at anybody - I struggle with this each and everyday as well. My answers would be:
1) My soul is willing but my body is weak... As much as my heart's desire is for 'me' to die and for Christ to live and reign in me, that isn't the way I live all my life. It has to change. It will be radical - I will probably look pretty strange, even to other Christians. But it is what I have to do.
2) I figure - I'm not popular, but I seek to be. I want people to like me and to have friends. But, what is better - the acceptance of God, or that of people? Makes me think about what it is that I really want...
3) What am I doing now... While it may not really seem much, I guess helping out in the children's ministry at church is part of that... as is my writing and singing. I really need to think more about this...
4) I know that I focus on me more than I should... that is going to change though! I am determined to make God my first priority!
5) Again, I wish I could whole-heartedly say 'Yes!', but I know that this is a constant struggle and issue... I'm working on it!
6) ... I want to say yes, but I'm not sure...

Let's change, and live in such a way that we can say 'My life counted!'

9 Thoughts from YOU!:

Jake M. August 18, 2009 at 6:14 AM  

Powerful Post. Here's my answers:
1. That's probably the hardest thing for me. Giving it all up to God; especially my dreams. It's hard. Very, very hard but if God calls me to do something, I'll do it. But as for now, I'm just praying that he'll give me enough strength and faith when that time comes to be able to answer the call and accomplish what he wills me to do.
2. I'm not really popular, but a lot of the times I want to be and that sometimes controls my actions and makes me act differently then how God made me to act. But to have a higher position in Heaven is so much better then one on Earth, so that's something I should be striving for in my life.
3. What am I doing? Well... I help out with the Worship Band occasionally at my Church. Work with kids at my Churches youth ministry... Overall not much. I have to really start stepping up for God.
4. I want that so bad! I want to be transfixed on God and on Him alone! I pray all the time that I won't care about what I look like or if people think I'm cool or not. I just want to be focused on God and not myself.
5. No, I'm not, and that troubles me. I don't want to get to Heaven and have God ask me how many people I brought with me his Kingdom and have to say: Z-E-R-O. I really want to evangelize more and I'm praying God will give me boldness to complete that task.
6. This, is a really deep question and y'know what? No. My life would have not or just possibly have counted.

Great post... These questions really got me thinking.

Jake

Alex Monseth August 18, 2009 at 6:45 AM  

Wow, powerful, and awesome post,

1. That's the thing that hit me at the FLY convention this past summer. I was willing to take heaven, but not willing to do God's will at all times.
2. Yes, I would, but the lucky part about my life God has given me is that pretty much everyone i'm around is christian, so i can be popular while still living my life to God.
3. Right now, I'm volunteering at our church with 6-10 years olds, and I played in our worship band. I haven't done much, but i've been trying to set an example for my friend Mitch, who has a bad work ethic.
4. Well, I've started getting into the habit of reading my Bible every day, and I've tried to put my thoughts more on God, *laughs* I believe i can improve.
5. I definately try too, but i don't think i've done it enough to set a firm example for the people around me.
6. I don't know, when I die, I'd like to hear from people in heaven if i made any change on their lives.

Very cool blog by the way,
Thanks for the post, encouraging,

Alex

Anonymous,  August 18, 2009 at 6:56 AM  

Wonderful post. I've been thinking along the same lines these last few days.God bless.
Kaomi
musingsfromthefeet.blogspot.com

justagirl4god August 18, 2009 at 7:18 AM  

Hey Ryan!
Thanks for your comment - means alot to me!
I'm glad that this challenged you... Just wanted to remind you that it isn't the number of people that you led to Christ that really matters - you might be a key link in the chain that brings them to that point, even if you don't actually see the result.
I pray that God will open your eyes to see Him more clearly and that you would see opportunities to love others with God's love!

justagirl4god August 18, 2009 at 7:20 AM  

Hey Alex!
Thanks for your comment too!
I'm glad to hear that you are getting yourself onto a path of living for God - I think we are continually working on doing this, throughout our whole life. I'll pray that you will keep on this path and stay focused on God! :)

justagirl4god August 18, 2009 at 7:21 AM  

Heya Kaomi!
Thanks for stopping by and leaving your thoughts. I'll check out your blog soon...
justagirl4god

rinarinarina August 19, 2009 at 1:15 AM  

Hi! So, I saw your comment on my friend's blog and found you here. I think about this topic a lot! Here are my answers:
1. The whole thing about living for God is being out of our comfort zone for Him. I think that when He brings us there, then what He wants becomes what we want, if we're really seeking Him.
2. It makes me think about how we're supposed to be in the world - not of it. How we need to stand up for what we believe in. With school starting soon, it's a good reminder.
3. I'm on the drama team at church and I play in our church orchestra.
4. That's a daily thing for me. Every day, I have to get up and ask God to help me put Him first.
5. I want to. I know it's not an excuse that I'm not in school yet since there are lost people everywhere, but it should be a lot easier once school starts.
6. I want my life to make a difference for God. I want to be remembered for what I did for Him more than anything I did for me.

This was a really great post.
Check out my blog if you get the chance!
Rina(:
http://www.zee-em-sea.blogspot.com

Kelsey Lynn August 19, 2009 at 1:20 AM  

Thanks for posting this. It really got me thinking about all kinds of things. Here are my answers:
1)This is a big struggle for me. "Letting go and letting God" is so difficult. I have so many things that I want in life, and so many things that I'm used to - sometimes it just seems like it would be too hard to just let God have it all. I have to challenge myself everyday to remember that His plan is bigger and greater than what I want.
2)Yes. I want God to be reflected in every aspect of my life, and if that means I'm not "popular" then that's alright with me. I went down the popular road once before, and I wasn't even coming close to honoring God.
3)This is a tough one. Most of the time, I feel so small - what can I do? My answers are a lot like yours, actually - helping out with kids in church camps, singing at church, and writing. I know there's more ways I can help, but I don't know what they are at this point.
4)I wish I could say yes, but I am extremely selfish. I want to change that, though. I want God to be number one, not myself.
5)No. At some times, yes, but I want it to be constant. I need to work on this all of the time. It's a constant struggle.
6)Probably not that much...I haven't beeen living entirely for God, and I want that to change. I want it to be less of me and more of Him.

justagirl4god August 19, 2009 at 5:37 PM  

Hello Rinarinarina and Kelsey!
Thank you girls for commenting... I 'll definitely check out your blog, Rina. :)
And Kels, I'll be praying for you! This is a struggle for me as well, and I know how awesome it is when someone backs you up in prayer... and I'd love to do that for you!
God bless you girls!

Post a Comment

Hello!
Thank you for leaving your thoughts - they are very valuable to me!
Please remember that whatever you write is moderated first, and that I want this blog to glorify God... so, keep that in mind and comment away!
God bless!
justagirl4god