Thursday, May 14, 2009

Welcome to the 21st Century

Well, here I am, sitting at a computer, in an air-conditioned building. Wearing my lovely JAG Shirt, Suzanne Grae Jeans and my awesome Target mid-calf-high black boots. I washed my hair this morning with water that came directly from a tap, and dried it using a hair-drier, which worked well once I plugged it into the power point on the wall and turned it on. My milk for my breakfast came from a refrigerator and the cereal was in a cardboard box in the cupboard. I’ve travelled in a car over town to get here there and everywhere, and will do more of that this afternoon. I don’t have to worry about being too cold – I can change the air-con or put on a jumper. I don’t have to worry about being hot – change the air-con again, or take off the jumper. Everything I could possible need is at my finger tips – I woke up and my complete Bible was sitting on my chair next to my bed.

Well, over in Africa, a girl my age is probably working on a farm or in her family’s home, trying to feed the other children in the house. That’s if she hasn’t sold or been sold to someone else, and is forced to do whatever she is told. Her breakfast, if she got any, might have been a crusty piece of bread, or perhaps an old piece of fruit – if that. She most likely bathes in a local creek or river, and has never seen running water from a tap, let alone power points and hair driers. She walks everywhere, there is no other option, and she is so poor that she can’t afford anything else. At night she is cold; pulling fabric that has seen many a better day over her shoulders. During the day, the sun beats down on her, and there is little, if no, shade to relieve her discomfort. She probably has never heard about Jesus, let alone hold a Bible. And if she has, her Bible may simply be written on her heart, or fallen to pieces.

Isn’t it amazing, that we sit here in luxury, and yet there are so many people, especially children, all over the world who are starving, cold and lonely, living without the hope with have in Christ. Today is Compassion Day here in Australia; support those in need by praying or visit compassion.com.au to find out more about the work of Compassion International.

Be Blessed by Being a Blessing!

Justagirl4god

3 Thoughts from YOU!:

emii May 14, 2009 at 5:32 PM  

Hey Girl 4 God,
I really love reading your posts. And what you said is right. I mean, seriously, the amount of things I take for granted, even right this moment as I speak. I'm sitting here, typing on MY own laptop, wishing I had an iPod. That's not the worst -- I'm allowed to use my mum's ipod, but I'd rather have my own. What type of person would act like that?! In fact, I don't think I will buy an iPod, at least not time anytime soon. I don't need one. I feel so spoiled...

My family sponsers two children, but the last time I personally wrote to them. I'm totally going to write to them...thanks for reminding me, Girl 4 God, how much I take my life for granted.

xox emily

Libby May 15, 2009 at 1:54 PM  

i know this sounds a bit weird, but, do you have an email add? cause if you would like to read my blog, you have to be a reader, so if i had you email add i could invite you to read my blog and stuff, but its up to you =D

justagirl4god May 15, 2009 at 3:18 PM  

Thanks for asking Libby! That sounds great! :) Just trying to figure out the best way to do this... okay, if you don't mind... leave a comment with your email, and I will email you, and then delete your comment (that way no one else sees them...) If that is okay with you! :)
xo
justagirl4god

Post a Comment

Hello!
Thank you for leaving your thoughts - they are very valuable to me!
Please remember that whatever you write is moderated first, and that I want this blog to glorify God... so, keep that in mind and comment away!
God bless!
justagirl4god